Almonds are a popular choice, but you can experiment with other nut types (and seeds and other plant-based options) to find your favourite.
- A soaking bowl
- A powerful blender
- Cheesecloth, a nut milk bag, or a thin, clean kitchen towel
- Fine-mesh strainer
- Nuts of your choice
- Soak 1 ½ cup nuts of your choice at room temperature for at least 8 to 12 hours (softer nut varieties such as pecans and cashews are the exception and may not even need a soak, if using seeds or oats, amounts will vary)
- Drain and thoroughly rinse the nuts in a colander
- Transfer the soaked and rinsed nuts to a powerful blender
- Add any desired flavourings, sweeteners, and a pinch of salt, if desired (see below for flavour ideas)
- Add 4 cups of water
- Blend on high speed for several minutes until the mixture reaches a frothy, milk-like, smooth consistency
- Strain the nut milk using a clean towel, cheesecloth, or nut milk bag
For unsweetened, plain nut milk, simply add ½ teaspoon of salt. Add a couple of dates or 1 teaspoon of maple syrup for natural sweetness. If you prefer flavoured nut milk, the options are endless.